We have temporarily suspended our internship program. we will update this page when we resume.
For over 40 years the R. Michelson Galleries has represented many of world’s most respected artists. Our main gallery has one of the nation’s largest selections of Leonard Baskin’s sculptures, watercolors, prints, and fine art books, as well as an extensive collection of works by other outstanding contemporary artists including Deborah Rubin, Randall Deihl, Lewis Bryden, Mark Meunier, and many others. Our sculptors have created some of our nation’s major memorials, from the FDR Memorial in Washington D.C. to the National Anne Frank Memorial in Boise, Idaho. We are the exclusive represemtative of Leonard Nimoy’s photography and our illustration gallery showcases many of the country’s most prominent children’s book illustrators, such as Mo Willems, Maurice Sendak, Jules Feiffer, Dr. Seuss, Barry Moser, Jane Dyer, Eric Carle, E.B. Lewis, Mordicai Gerstein, Trina Schart Hyman, and Alice Provensen.
Art originally exhibited in our galleries now hangs in many of the most prestigious museums in America, including New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and the Art Institute of Chicago.
The internship program at R. Michelson Galleries is designed to introduce participants to all facets of running a large scale gallery. Interns will be working directly as part of the team to keep things running smoothly. They will gain experience by:
• Working directly with media and press contacts
• Meeting with the local and national art community
• Learning archival art storage and framing techniques
• Using valuable real world communication skills
• Organizing client sales data via computer data entry
We welcome applications from undergraduates, graduate students, as well as recent graduates. Majoring in the arts is not a requisite but a strong interest in them is. Applicants should fill out the application form, being sure to complete all steps of the process. We will be accepting two interns for the Fall semester September-December. Please note on application if you want to start before school is back in session. Applications may be obtained from the school, from this website, or directly from the gallery. Please follow Application procedures when applying.
Please download and fill out the document and save with your last name in the file name followed by the words “internship-application.”
Ex. John Smith would save the file as: smith-internship-application.pdf
Also name the cover letter and your resume in a similar manner. (i.e. smith-cover-letter and smith-resume)
Email the application along with resume and cover letter to: PG@RMichelson.com (pdf or .doc formats please)
Application Checklist of items to be emailed:
1. Copy of application.
2. Cover letter stating your reasons for participating in the internship program at the R. Michelson Galleries; what you hope to achieve from the experience; and how such an experience will help further your education and career plans. Please limit this letter to one page.
3. Complete resume of education and employment (if available).
4. (Optional) Letter of recommendation. Letters may be sent in sealed envelopes signed on the outer flaps or as e-mails sent directly by the recommenders with applicant’s name as the subject to PG@RMichelson.com
Recommendations must be received by the deadline.
For further information about R. Michelson Galleries internship programs, please call (413) 586-3964, or e-mail PG@RMichelson.com.
Our internship terms are usually as follows (though we are often flexible)
Spring Internship (February – May) – Deadline: December 15th
Summer Internship (June – August) – Deadline: May 15th
Fall Internship (September – December) – Deadline: July 15th